How to get started on your dream kitchen renovation project?
The heart of every home, a kitchen needs to be a space that’s good looking, functional and a source of comfort and efficiency.
Kitchen renovations are typically major, complex and time-consuming projects. If not planned properly, they can also become a nightmare.
In this blog we outline a few points to keep in mind when you take the plunge into your dream kitchen renovation project.
Find the right professional
A kitchen renovation can add great value to your house – if done correctly. Get an expert in early to help you make your dream a reality and avoid expensive mistakes from get go. Don’t trust anybody to do the job. Do you research before hiring someone.
- Ask for recommendations and referrals before you hire. You should also look up online reviews.
- Ask for pictures of past projects
- Don’t always go for cheap. Look for quality – your kitchen is a space you want to spend a lot of time in.
Plan your space
This is the fun part and should begin even before you reach out to an expert. Here are a few things you need to do:
- Decide on your kitchen renovation goals – why are you doing it? Are you tired of the colour scheme? Do you need new cabinets to replace tired old ones? Do your kitchen appliances need replacement? Or are you looking for a complete kitchen makeover?
- A to-scale drawing of your current kitchen. Incredible Kitchen Company can help you with your design from their East Tamaki showroom.
- Prepare a mood board. You can make it on Pinterest, another digital platform or just get down and dirty with cuttings from magazines of kitchen elements you love. Colours, appliances, cabinetry … this mood board will give the professional you hire a good sense of your taste and requirements.
Ask yourself these questions as you plan your kitchen renovation:
- How many people will be using the kitchen?
- Are you an entertainer who invites people into the kitchen?
- What are the non-negotiables in your kitchen renovation project – the must-haves versus nice to have.
- Pay careful attention to your layout; is it galley style, L shape or U shape? If you want to keep the cost down, stick with existing layout (at least keeping the plumbing and electricals in the same place).
Decide on a budget
Decide on what you can afford to renovate your kitchen. With proper guidance you can stick to it but allowing a buffer at the start of the project is prudent.
If you want to keep costs down, have a look around your kitchen and make a list of things you can repurpose.
Renovating a kitchen is thrilling and intimidating at the same time. But if you follow these steps before you start ripping out benchtops and pulling down walls, you’ll be in the strongest possible position to ensure the best result. If you’re still a bit lost, connect with the friendly crew at Incredible Kitchen Company showroom and dip into their vast experience on the subject. Good luck!